Do you know the rules for walking safely?
Here are some tips to help keep you safe while walking:
- Always walk on a sidewalk.
- If there isn't a sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road facing the traffic. Walk as far away from the street as possible.
- Be on the look out for cars that are backing out of parking spaces and driveways.
- Wear bright colors so cars can easily see you.
- You should never walk at night. If you must walk at night, make sure you wear retro-reflective materials on your clothes and carry a flashlight so that drivers can easily see you.
Here are some tips to help keep you safe while crossing the street:
- Use a crosswalk if available.
- Cross at a corner when possible so drivers can see you.
- Be on the lookout for cars that are making turns. They might not see you.
- Stop at the curb and look both ways. Look left, right, and left again before crossing the street. Cross the street when traffic is clear.
- Keep looking both ways until you have safely crossed the street.
- Never cross the street from between parked cars. Drivers may not see you in time to stop.
- NEVER think that the driver can see you.
Follow these rules to help keep you safe and be extra careful when there's fog or the weather is bad. Bad weather will make it very hard for a driver to see you.
Remember, Be Smart, Be Safe!
Great Links On This Topic