Do you know how to safely use the internet?
Here are some very important tips to help keep you safe when you're on the internet:
- First, remember never to give out personal information such as your name, home address, school name, or telephone number in a chat room or on bulletin boards.
- Never send a picture of yourself to someone you chat with on the computer without your parent's permission.
- Never write to someone who has made you feel uncomfortable or scared.
- Do not meet someone or have them visit you without the permission of your parents.
- Tell your parents right away if you read anything on the Internet that makes you feel uncomfortable.
- If you get an e-mail from someone that you don't know, don't open it and tell an adult.
- Remember that people online may not be who they say they are. Someone who says that "she" is a "12-year-old girl" could really be an older man.
Keep in mind that the people in chat rooms are STRANGERS. Even though you talk to them a lot and you think you know them, you don't know them. They can lie to you and tell you things to try to get you to trust them. Most people are good, but there are a lot of bad people on the Internet and you won't be able to tell the difference.
Remember, Be Smart, Be Safe!
Great Links On This Topic
Sources: The safety tips in this section were compiled from the following great internet resources: Federal Bureau of Investigation (www.fbi.gov)