SCHOOL AND SCHOOL BUS SAFETY
Do you know the safety rules for riding a school bus?
The following tips from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will help keep you stay safe if you ride a school bus:
Getting on the bus
- When the bus approaches, do the smart thing: step back and stand at least THREE GIANT STEPS away from the curb. That way the bus driver can pull up to the curb so you won't have to walk out in the street to get on.
- Wait until the bus stops, the door opens, and the driver says it's okay to board before stepping onto the bus.
- Never walk behind the bus or close to the side of the bus. You could be in the driver's blind spot.
- If you drop something near the bus, don't pick it up until you tell the bus driver or he may not see you.
- When you get on the bus, take your seat quickly.
While you're riding the bus
- When the bus is moving, always stay in your seat.
- Let the bus driver concentrate on the road. Just imagine how hard it would be to pay attention to the road with 30 students TALKING all at once!!! Remember, the bus driver's job is to get you to and from school safely.
Getting off the bus
- When you leave the bus, use the handrail. It'll help you avoid an injury if you stumble.
- Make sure there's nothing sticking out on you (your clothes, the hood of your coat, keychains, etc) or your backpack (straps, drawstrings, or anything else) that could get caught in the handrail on the bus or the bus door. What if the bus driver took off while you're still trying to get off the bus?
- When getting off the bus make sure you walk (not run) three more steps away from the door. This is the best place to be around a bus. Stay away from the bus wheels and watch out for moving cars!
- If you have to cross the street in front of the bus, walk on the sidewalk (or along the side of the road) to a point that's at least 5 GIANT STEPS ahead of the bus before you cross. It's never safe to walk close to the front of the bus. The bus driver may be sitting up too high to see you. Be sure that the bus driver can see you, and you can see the bus driver.
Remember, Be Smart, Be Safe!
Great Links On This Topic
Sources: The safety tips in this section were compiled from the following great internet resources: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (www.NHTSA.dot.gov)