Did you know that windows can be dangerous if you are not careful?
Research shows that as many as 4,700 children fall from windows each year. Here are some tips to help you and your younger brothers and sisters be safe around windows:
- Don't ever lean on a window. Even if the window has a screen, you can easily fall out of a window.
- Don't ever run towards a window.
- Don't jump on beds or furniture near a window.
Pass the following tips on to your parents so they can make your windows child-safe:
- Open windows from the top instead of the bottom.
- Open your windows no more than 4 inches if you can't open them from the top.
- Try to plant shrubs or place something under windows that would reduce the risk of severe injuries in case a child should fall.
- Never place beds or furniture in front of windows.
- Don't rely on window screens for a safety guard. Window screens cannot prevent a child from falling from a window.
Here are some tips to help keep you safe from other types of falls:
- Never walk on stairs without turning on a light.
- Never slide down the railing of stairs.
- Make sure your shoes are always tied.
- Don't climb on chairs and counter tops.
- Use a tub mat when you take a bath or shower.
- Never let a young child stand in a shopping cart.
Remember, Be Smart, Be Safe!
Great Links On This Topic