Do you know how to help protect yourself from dog bites?
Unfortunately, even our favorite pets can sometimes bite. Here are some tips you can use to help prevent dog bites:
- Never approach a dog that you don't know. Report stray dogs or dogs displaying unusual behavior.
- Remain motionless when approached by an unfamiliar dog -- never run or scream.
- Do not disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
- If it appears that a dog is going to attack you, throw an article of clothing or something else at the dog that the dog can bite instead of biting you.
- If a dog leaps at you, cover your head and neck. It is very important that you try to keep the dog away from your head and neck.
- If knocked down by a dog, lie still and remain in a ball.
- Do not play aggressive games with your dog; for example, wrestling.
- Never try to separate fighting dogs.
- If bitten by a dog, immediately report the bite.
- Carefully choose your pet dog. Evaluate your environment and lifestyles and speak with a professional to determine the appropriate type of pet.
- Dogs should be neutered or spayed to reduce aggressive tendencies.
Remember, Be Smart, Be Safe!
[ More Safety Tips Great Links On This Topic Great Links ]
Sources: The safety tips in this section were compiled from the following great internet resources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (www.cdc.org)